Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What is literacy?

1. What is literacy?
In my opinion, literacy is the knowledge which is formed by the social context we situate in.
We are what we are today is created by the whole social discourse and that empowers us to be "literate." I don't think literacy can be defined by the single concept but must be interpreted by the whole context.
2. How to teach literacy?
I don't think literacy can be taught. Students are literate before they come to classroom. I mean they are the creature of social and cultural context, so they were and are literating all the time. The only thing I think we need to teach them is to help them to do the self-consciousness. To help them to better understand themself, define themselves in thier own way rather than define themselves according to the literal definition which is defined by the theorist or textbook.

No comments: