Thursday, July 3, 2008

Chinese English

Can "Chinglish" be the variety of "World Englishes"?

I present the conception of "Chinglish" in the class of Technology & Literacy yesterday. Actually, I was really nervous before I present it. There were 25 students and two professors sat there to listen to my presentation. Most of them are "native speakers." Though I proposed the idea that Chinglish can be accepted in the world from population's point of view, I clarified that I am not from China but from a small country---Taiwan, before my presentation.
China and Taiwan are different countries, but ironically, we use the same language---Mandarin Chinese. I don't want to involve into any political issue in my presentation, but just fucus on the idea that if "Chinglish" can be accepted in the world, that would benefit a lot of Chinese English learners.
At the end of my presentation, I suggested that we don't need to teach students "Chinglish" becasue it exists already. I just want to argue that if we don't treat "Chinese English" as a native term, there would be more Chinese students have much more confidence in their English writing.
After I finished my presentation, lots of my classmates told me, "Monica, good job." "Monica, I like your presentaion." It's my first time to present the idea connected to my local langauge and culture. I am so happy to get most of American classmates' recognition.

No comments: